Monday, June 1, 2009

The beginning of week one


We started classes today but I've only had one so far. It seems like it will be interesting. We spent today's class talking about all the things that we have noticed in Spanish culture that are different from American culture, like all the people making out in the streets or having to wear shoes in the house. It was interesting to hear the reasons behind some of these things.
Yesterday we went to Alhambra which was really cool. It is amazing all the things that the people that lived there thousands of years ago had thought of. For example, each house had its own bathroom and they have an underground sewer system for dirty water to keep it separate from clean. They had bath houses, patios with all their houses, and really smart architecture. I will load pictures as soon as I get a chance.
Other than that the weekend was good. I spent some time getting to know my host family and the area that they live in. Each day with them is getting more and more comfortable, though there still are a lot of awkward moments.
I don't have internet in my house so the only time I get to use it is when I am at the school (Cegri). Unfortunately most of my classes are in the afternoon so the time that I have free to use the Internet is in the morning when everyone back home is still sleeping. So hopefully this blog will help me to keep in touch with people.
My computer is about to die since I still need to pick up an adaptor to plug it in so this is all for now.
Hopefully I will be able to talk soon!

5 comments:

  1. Em!!!
    I miss you! Spain sounds great...even though we both know how I feel... :)

    I got your thank you card in the mail...I almost cried.

    Your blog is on my favorites list..no..it's now on my links section...so I'll check it pretty much everyday!

    Be careful and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW: This is your friend Maria Guerrero

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the cultural reason behind everyone making out in the streets?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Em
    Hope you had fun "salzing" last night. Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Teresa- Apparently the cultural reason is that since people tend to live with their parents longer, they have nowhere else to go really to do that kind of stuff so they just do it in the streets. I thought that was pretty interesting, not seeing it, but knowing why they do it. I guess it changes the whole "get a room" idea. I guess it's more like "go to the cathedral steps" here or something like that!

    ReplyDelete